Hmm, my first attempt at cutting out an S didn't turn out so well. I didn't realize I had to trace the reverse onto the paper since I was cutting it out from the back side. Duh!
Much better the second time around!
I painted the first and middle initials onto the wood using black acrylic.
When I traced the initials onto the wood, I made marks at the top and bottom of the big initial for placement later. I just Mod Podged it on.
I did some simple quilling, and voila!
After all the quilling was done, I sprayed a glossy clear sealant on them to protect the paper. You can see from this picture that I started out doing more intricate designs, but each of those took three hours each, and I decided I didn't have enough time for that, so I simplified my design. I still think they look pretty good, though.
The finished product included a ribbon for hanging!
Here's a close-up of one of the more intricate ones.
I love quilling. It is so fun and rewarding, but time consuming. Remind me to start making my gifts in October next year.
FYI: I've added these to my shop.